Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

CHRISTINA AGUILERA - BIONIC - MY FULL TRACK BY TRACK REVIEW



So, I've been listening to the new Christina Aguilera record, BIONIC, released today in the US.
Here is my track by track review (which may change on further listen):
1 Bionic - Produced by Switch (M.I.A., Major Lazer). The track opens the album with a dance hall feel and a fairly catchy chorus. The track could have been on the last Major Lazer record. A

2 Not Myself Tonight - Produced by Polow Da Don (Beyonce, Keri Hilson), NMT is a major club-ready thumper. Full of attitude, fierceness, catchy chorus and great vocals. The problem lies in the fact that one can't seem to enjoy this track without recalling the ill-conceived Hype Williams directed video-clip. This should have been an easy top 5 for Aguilera but alas debuted and peaked at #23 on Billboard's Hot 100. A-

3 Woo Hoo - Produced by Polow Da Don and featuring guest rapstress of the hour, Nicki Minaj, Woo Hoo is funky, catchy, pop-hop and also unofficially the second single from the album. I think the label is testing the waters with radio and airplay at the moment. B +

4 Elastic Love - Produced by M.I.A. and Switch, Elastic Love has M.I.A. signed all over it. The word cosmic comes to mind when listening to this track due in part to the heavily produced vocals on both Aguilera and M.I.A. I actually can't confirm if M.I.A. is even on this track or if Aguilera is made to sound identical to her. B-

5 Desnudate - Produced by Tricky Stewart, Desnudate is another club-ready track geared for the Latin scene, with a hot saxophone(?) part towards the end. Pitbull will most likely appear on any remix for this track. Lastly, Aguilera's vocals are up and center in the track and sound sensational. A-

7 Glam - Produced by Tricky Stewart, Glam was originally considered for the album's first single. Accurately described by Aguilera and Stewart as a modern day "Vogue," the track fails to make much of an impact except right around the middle when she actually starts singing "Runway on fire, fashion gods inspired..." The track also uses elements from Daft Punk's Technologic.  It might be a good club single but this is the first weak point on the album for me. C

8 Prima Donna - Third and final track Produced by Tricky Stewart, Prima Donna is a slow - mid tempo, hip-hop inspired dark and moody track where Christina Aguilera wails on the chorus about being a pri-madonna and knowing she can "rule the world" all while horns reminiscent of Madonna's "4 Minutes" take this clearly Madonna dedicated track from boring to mediocre but nowhere near futuristic. C-

9 Sex For Breakfast - Produced by Bernard Edwards of disco-band Chic fame, Sex for Breakfast is a track you'd find towards the end of any Janet Jackson album post 1993. The track even comes complete with rain and thunder sounds (unless I'm delirious). Now why is Christina Aguilera working with a disco mastermind and coming up with this? Madonna worked with Nile Rodgers (also from Chic) and gave us Like A Virgin. Xtina, I think you could have made some magic with this guy. C-

10 Lift Me Up - Produced by long-time collaborator Linda Perry, Lift Me Up is a stunning ballad and my favorite track on the album. This is also sadly the only track Linda Perry worked on for this project. Lift Me Up is Christina at her best and this will go down as a "Beautiful" if the marketing/styling folks behind this project get their acts together. A+

11 All I Need - Produced by Sia Furler & Sam Dixon, All I Need has Sia's signature style all over the track but doesn't translate well with Christina's vocals. The track seems like a Sia throwaway and does not take advantage of Christina's vocal powers. This is weak and underwhelming especially for being a Christina and Sia collaboration. C-

12 I Am - Produced by Sia Furler & Sam Dixon, I Am makes up for the previous weaker Sia collaboration. This track see's Christina singing verses in a much lower register than I am used to but sounds refreshing. The track is a soothing lullaby, and should be a contender for single release, if we get anymore. A

13 You Lost Me - Produced by Sia Furler & Sam Dixon, You Lost Me is exactly what one expects from a collaboration of this kind. Elements of Sia's Breathe Me mixed with arguably one of Christina Aguilera's strongest vocal performances, takes this haunting track to goosebump/chills zone. A+

14 I Hate Boys - Produced by Polow Da Don, I Hate Boys sounds like a standard catchy radio track. Short and sweet, running under 3 minutes. B

15 My Girls - Produced by Le Tigre and featuring Peaches. This track is airy, fun and a good representation of what Christina promised in Bionic! A

16 Vanity - Produced by Ester Dean, Vanity contains some of the cockiest lyrics I've ever heard, but what do you expect with a song with that name? Aside from hearing Xtina sing about turning herself on, the track is extremely catchy and the beat is tight. There's also a guest vocal appearance at the end. A-

I may go in and edit some of these as I listen to the album more but for now there you have it, my track by track review.
My big gripe is all the best tracks off this Bionic project didn't make the final regular album release. Monday Morning and Bobblehead, both Switch produced tracks, are more of the "Bionic" we were promised and actually exactly what I was expecting for this "futuristic" project. The haunting (Ladytron / Cathy Dennis produced) Birds Of Prey, is a pulsating electro track with Aguilera wailing in a middle eastern style. How did this not make it? Ladytron also produced the inspiring and uplifting Little Dreamer. I would have easily replaced All I Need with the Sia produced bonus track Stronger than Ever.  So essentially someone decided that all the excellent tracks would stay off the album and be offered on deluxe or bonus edition releases.  Let me know what you all think?




Shop HBO for True Blood Special Offers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey I couldn't see this video its no longer on You Tube!