Britney Jean, the newest album from Britney Spears is being released today, one day after her 32nd birthday. Overall this album has more hits than misses but strangely the strongest tracks weren't released as the first or second single. Unlike, Femme Fatale, this album features a fair balance between the dance tracks and the mid-tempo/ballads. While I think Britney's voice is suited for dance backdrops, she sounds surprisingly good on half of the mid-tempo tracks. The lyrics have gotten significantly deeper than her previous albums and we are seeing a more grown-up Britney. While her manager and record company touted this record as Britney's "Ray of Light," referring to Madonna's most critically acclaimed 90's masterpiece which revived Madonna's career and is on many respected greatest albums of all-time lists, Britney Jean doesn't have the same cohesive theme or energy as the album it was inspired by.
If you are only going to buy a couple tracks to try the album out, then you should start with:
1. Body Ache
2. Till It's Gone
Here is a review of the tracks IN ORDER of FAVORITES:
1. "Body Ache" -- This hot electro house edm track reminds me most of "Scream & Shout," mixed with some 90's hi-nrg euro. The best track on the album with her best vocals to date. RELEASE THIS NOW!
2. "Til It's Gone" -- Heavy EDM track that is hard to get out of your head and another vocal stand-out from Ms. Spears. One of her best songs ever!
3. "Passenger" -- Katy Perry gets writing credits and Diplo gets production credits on this slower mid-tempo track and what I think should have been, either the first or second single from this album.
4. "Alien" -- William Orbit worked on this awesome mid-tempo track.
5. "Work B----" -- We all know this one. While I love this track, I am not happy that it was chosen as the first single. Nonetheless the beat is hot and the video is hotter.
6. "Tik Tik Boom" (featuring T.I.) -- Super sexy lyrics against a hip-hop pop-hop backdrop with super catchy chorus to boot. Ultimately this could have been released by any of todays female singers so expect more from britney but nonetheless its highly addicting.
7. Now That I Found You - Great EDM track with a country vibe similar in sound to that Pitbull/Kesha collaboration thats out. Beautiful lyrics, beautiful vocals. Great track! This should be on all versions of the album.
8. "It Should Be Easy" (featuring will.i.am) -- This is my least favorite of the EDM Will.I.Am tracks.
9. "Perfume" -- Sia gets writing credits for this track. I was expecting much more from a Sia collaboration and these are not my favorite Britney vocals. Shocked that this was chosen as a single release. This is sadly headed for flop status. The "Dreaming" version (which is on the deluxe) sounds significantly better to me than the original
10. "Chillin' with You" (featuring Jamie Lynn) -- Awkard track on an overall great album. Clearly, shes trying to help promote her sister with this filler track. Pass.
11. "Don't Cry" "Brightest Morning" "Hold On Tight" -- Not impressed with any of these slow jams.